Sacrament of Confirmation
As you are double checking the fulfillment of expectations (found below) for year 2 of Confirmation Prep, do not forget to turn in your seven mass reflections needed this year, approximately 20 hours of stewardship projects and to complete a confirmation retreat! See also the Confirmation Dates and Assignments below.
WHAT IS A SACRAMENT?
"The sacraments are efficacious signs of grace, instituted by Christ and entrusted to the Church, by which divine life is dispensed to us. The visible rites by which the sacraments are celebrated signify and make present the graces proper to each sacrament." (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1131).
In other words, sacraments are visible signs that make present an invisible reality; this invisible reality is the gift of grace. Whenever a sacrament is celebrated the visible part we see brings about the invisible reality that is taking place.
Confirmation is one a sacrament of initiation.
PREPARATION FOR THE SACRAMENT OF CONFIRMATION FOR
During preparation for Confirmation in the junior high years, BOTH 7th and 8th grade youth receive two years of religious instruction AND additional sacramental preparation. This sacramental preparation takes the form of retreats, special assignments and content specific workshops. The content specific workshops are intended for youth and their parents and also count toward the "Explore Four" requirement when a parent attends.
Gifts of the Holy Spirit
7th Grade - Year 1
Any 8th grade teens who missed these sessions in 7th grade are asked to attend them in their 8th grade year.
- Catholic Skills: Scripture, Sunday September 20, 2020 4:45-6:15 PM or Monday September 21, 2020 6:30-8:00PM (parents are invited to an engaging parent session)
- Catholic Skills: Prayer, Sunday January 24, 2021 4:15-6:15PM or Monday January 25 2021 6:10-8:00PM (parents are asked to attend with teen - teen and parents can participate virtually or in person)
The 7th Grade Retreat has been postponed (from January 9th) to a date in the spring that has not been determined. Details and options will be communicated in February.
8th Grade - Year 2
Click here for Introduction to Confirmation and Confirmation Action Plan
Teens are asked to attend three Confirmation Preparation Sessions with a parent or sponsor:
- Confirmation Prep #1: Sunday September 27, 2020, 4:45-6:15 PM or Monday, September 28, 2020, 6:30-8:00 PM (Parents attend this first session)
- Confirmation Prep #2: Sunday, January 10, 2021 4:45-6:15 PM or Monday, January 11, 2021 6:30-8:00 PM (Teens are asked to bring a sponsor or parent; meet in the church.) (You can choose to participate virtually or in person)
- Confirmation Prep #3: Sunday, March 21, 2021, 4:45-6:15 PM or Monday, March 22, 2021 6:30-8pm (Teens are asked to bring a sponsor or parent; meet in the church.) (You can choose to participate virtually or in person)
- 8th Grade Teens are asked to choose and register for one of the 2020-21 Confirmation retreats.
- Choose a sponsor & turn in the Sponsor Commitment Form: DUE January session. Click here for qualifications for sponsor and the Sponsor Commitment Form (the attachment includes both the qualifications AND the commitment form (due in January).
- Discuss the Confirmation Sponsor Guide with your sponsor (read the Scriptures and talk about the questions.)
- Choose a Saint & Write a Saint Report: DUE February session Click here for helpful hints on finding your Saint name and Saint Report Guidelines
- Your "Confirmation Saint" is someone who will most likely embody the kind of person you'd like to become. Think of the things you are passionate about and/or interested in. Find which saint represents those ideas or ideals. Included in the guidelines are links on the web that can help you in your search for the PERFECT SAINT NAME for you!
Saint Reports include the following:
• A summary of the life/lives of the saint(s) whose name you have chosen to take as your Confirmation name.
• Follow all the instructions included in the attached PDF under "When writing your Saint Report...
Consider the activities "In What Ways do you Relate to Saints?" and "What Saints can you Relate to?" as aides to help you construct and complete a robust report. The SIX saints included in the document are EXAMPLES of POSSIBLE saints. Your choice of saint name is not reserved to just those examples.
If you are still struggling to find a saint after following the activities:
IOS users might try using: Confirmation Names on the App Store on iTunes
- Write a Letter Requesting Permission to be Confirmed to Fr. Robert Basler: Click here for Guidelines for the letter. DUE in March
- Confirmation Retreat: You must have attended a confirmation retreat.
- 7 Mass Reflections: DUE in APRIL
- Stewardship Log and Reflection (20 hours of service) DUE in APRIL Click here for Log and Reflection form
Catholic Skills for 7th graders:
Scripture: with parents September 20 or 21, 2020
Prayer with parents - January 24 or 25, 2021
Retreat for 7th Graders: The 7th Grade Retreat has been postponed (from January 9th) to a date in the spring that has not been determined. Details and options will be communicated in February.
Confirmation Prep Sessions for 8th graders:
Prep #1 - September 27 or 28, 2021
Prep #2 - January 10 or 11, 2021
Prep #3 - March 21 or 22, 2021